I find connections among books, art, music, libraries, travel, crafts and food.

Saturday, July 12, 2014

A Book a Week 2014: Made, Altered, Repaired. Week 20

Week of 19 May

Belgian Binding revisited.
OK, I think I created a new kind of binding. Let's call it the Minnesota Binding. I needed to make my younger sister a guest book for her home. She likes blue, and I found this beautiful blue Reader's Digest cover that would work great.


I picked out coordinating papers for the signatures, and two kinds of thread for binding the spine and the signatures separately.

The holes in the board weren't quite big enough, I bent my needle!






Minnesota Binding
I was in a hurry to make this because we had to get to my niece and nephew's graduation, so I didn't take the time to look up the directions again. Something didn't look right on the outside of the spine. You can see only 1 string per hole on the front cover here. But look at my first attempt (below) at Belgian binding, there are 2 strings per hole:
Belgian Binding

 Fortunately, on the one hour drive to the grad party, I had realized the mistake and worked on my niece's book according to the Belgian Binding. I think it turned out pretty great!









No comments:

Post a Comment