I find connections among books, art, music, libraries, travel, crafts and food.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

A Book A Week 2014: Made, Altered, or Repaired. Week 4.

Week of 27 Jan 2014
Japanese Stab Binding. traditional

Here you see one of the first stab bindings I did, many years ago. I fell in love with marbled papers back in the 1990s when I had to special order them (before the internet!) from the Daniel Smith catalog, back when they used to carry more book binding supplies and papers from around the world. When I discovered the Wet Paint store in St. Paul, MN, just down the street from Macalester College, I died and went to heaven. They not only have an amazing variety of artists' materials like paints and canvas, but they also have an unbelievable selection of large-sized printed papers (e.g. 16"x20" to 24"x36") from around the world.
 I like to use crochet thread, or any vintage fibers with which to bind books. I also like to add bits of discarded print and copper tape.

 I do crafting of all sorts, but book binding and sewing are my favorites. Sometimes I like to combine the two:




























Here's some pretty Thai Mango paper: Mango and Mulberry and Kozo papers make a beautiful fly leaf.











Here is another slightly modified Japanese stab binding. I used a paste paper for this next book, and I like the button accent.

                                                                                                                                                                                                       I collect vintage images, preferably from childrens' beginning readers.



My book was even featured on the Rochester (MN) public library garage door!



 
And again for the fly leaf, the Mango paper (it comes in a very large sheet).



Here's one more book that actually contains a story:
 My brother's father-in-law used to be an art teacher. He is also a farmer and a banker, man of many talents. When his grandchildren were young, he liked to write and illustrate stories for them. Then he would commission me to create a binding and make copies for each of the grandkids. This one is about a horse he had, named Jack. I used a bit of actual horse hair in the binding. Isn't that a beautiful picture he drew?

The end sheets for this book, I think were from maybe a marbled Lokta paper. It is gorgeous.
 The binding worked well for this collection of short stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment