I find connections among books, art, music, libraries, travel, crafts and food.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Illustrator Jon Klassen

Jon Klassen is a Canadian writer and illustrator, who you may have heard of from his fantastic book, I Want My Hat Back, which one the Caldecott Medal for illustration in 2013. Working in a public library gives me immediate access to what people are reading, and this book attracted my attention by the simple cover and intriguing title. It's satisfying right to the surprising and hilarious end, but fun to find clever clues in the middle. I love that the the rabbit's words are in red, matching the red hat, but also indicating that he is lying.

I loved this book so much, and as I do when I love something, I dug around for more info. I found that there have been several adorable adaptations of the book. My favorite is the Dr. Who version which you can find here: http://doctorwho.tumblr.com/post/12891889415/i-want-my-hat-back-the-doctor-edition

Then what I found is some self-plagiarism by Mr. Klassen in another wonderful book that he illustrated called Extra Yarn, by Mac Barnett.
Annabelle, the main character in Extra Yarn, knits sweaters for everyone she knows. Then she goes on to knit sweaters for all the animals, and here, Klassen illustrates his animals from I Want My Hat Back wearing Annabelle's sweaters.

These are clever, fun books with fantastic illustrations. Find these and more at your local library!


No comments:

Post a Comment